Saturday, October 5, 2013

Here, Have An Awesome...BANNER AD?!!

So I was skimming Hackaday via Feedly today and up came a page asking me to support them by allowing their banner ads. Maybe I'm a sucker, but a website that asks even not-super-duper-nicely. Like Hulu, which--this is notable, I think, though I with no real advanced web programming wouldn't know for sure--still lets you see what you came for even when it can tell you're running an Adblock. Also notable: Hackaday is making an effort to include companies in its ads that are most relevant to its base.

But I digress.

The real point I'm going for, and the awesome thing that came out of all of this: Hackaday may be the first time I felt actively rewarded for doing such a thing, and possibly just by chance. But the first ads I saw after the ad allowance are better given in picture than in words:


I know what those ads say, but they might as well say "Allowed our banner ads? Have a kitten."

Awesome.

P.S. The company which made that awesome ad was FindChips.com.

P.P.S. I reloaded the pictured Hackaday to see what would happen ad-wise. Same company still (though it sounds like that varies some, maybe) but this other FindChips ad came up and deserves posting:

2 comments:

  1. A nice gesture (I went ahead and whitelisted Hackaday on my ABP plugin) but unfortunately I only got Flash-based Texas Instruments ads. At least they weren't the kind that play sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they made that one of their explicit things.

    You'll probably find the cats eventually, but I'm not sure how much reloading or extra page-looking you have to do. I've gotten non-cat ads now after clicking some other pages, so theoretically the same will eventually result in a cat ad if you didn't get one at the outset.

    ReplyDelete